Accurate pocket size tester that checks the charging system and state of charge of a battery.
LENGTH: 40 inches / 100 cm
Connector (INPUT): 2-pin SAE or set of battery clips
CABLE: SPT-2W 16 AWG (1.32mm2)
USE: Suitable for use at very low temperatures down to -40 ° C / -40 ° F, cable remains flexible at temperatures below “freezing point”
OTHER: Fully enclosed electronic circuitry with multiple LEDs, SAE charge connector
OPERATION: Fully automatic
- Result in GREEN / RED LED according to load, indication of lowest voltage (20 sec) when starting vehicle and display of voltage with engine running to check alternator / voltage regulator working correctly
- Clip on the battery or connect to an installed SAE battery cable
- Check battery charge level. Low voltage battery gives poor starting performance
- Start the engine. The OptiMate TEST records and displays the lowest starting voltages (for 20 seconds)
- Check the starting voltage of the alternator and voltage regulator while the engine is running
EXTRA INFO: A low charge voltage will cause poor battery performance, and too high a charge voltage will cause excessive gassing, which eventually leads to damage to the lead-acid battery. Too high charging voltage is FATAL for a LiFePO4 starter battery.
Excluding VAT and transport costs
Good piece of kit with simple explanation of lights/instructions on back. Quickly identified battery problem under cranking and marginal alternator charging issue.
On trick cars that disengage the alternator when needed you get no alternator results (BMW after long run), however when you do get the alternator engaging/charging after a period of time, the car battery management probably thinks the battery needs some charge (mini left standing for a week).